Friday, September 3, 2010

Back to Church

While on vacation, Bek and I worshipped at Holy Family on the Feast of the Transfiguration. We saw seminarian Tom Warren, met retired priest Father Tony, and went out to lunch afterwards with Mother Michelle.

Like many aspects of our trip, the service was holy balm: the encouragement that came from the readings, the welcome and reception of friends, and time in the presence of the still small voice - small enough and deeply felt to hold me.

As posted before, Holy Family is the church at which Bek was confirmed; it's where we were married; where we ministered together as youth volunteers; and it's where I first served as deacon and as seminarian. Strangely, these weren't the first memories that met me as I stepped back into the nave. Instead, I remembered ironing candle wax off the brick floor at one in the morning, following the glorious Easter Vigil. I remembered setting the table on Saturdays, washing the dishes, vacuuming the carpet, pushing the Swiffer. This is more than a plug for altar guild - it's a reflection that while most of us want to feel "at home" in our church, it's a seldom sought and rare privilege to actually do what you do at home at church - to make your home in the household of God.

Mother Michelle is a gift and our conversation over lunch at the Loop was a consolation and encouragement. I pray I never forget the gentleness and humility with which Father Tony read. And I am daily thankful for Father Timothy and for the prayerful attention and sacramental delight he modeled for me and others during our season with the Holy Family in Chapel Hill.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:North Carolina

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS...So miss you guys and am really bummed we missed you at church! we've been on the road a lot this summer. Do let us know when you're back in the area. Big HUGS to you and your girls! Really want to meet Annie before she comes to the Triangle to go to school! smile
    Peace+Carol

    ReplyDelete