Tuesday, September 21, 2010

afloat in a boat

The beach house at which we stayed - Waite 'n' Sea - was fantastic. Lots of room, and it backed up near the marsh, an aesthetic plus around sunset. Being near the marsh, we also saw our share of kayakers. They made it look easy, which of course it isn't always, but knowing that it isn't always didn't keep me from wanting to try. I asked Rebekah if she'd be game to get a boat with me. She said that she would, but not with me, or I could get some training and she might reconsider. Rebekah's brother, also Jonathan, offered to go with me anyway, and he proved a graceful coach. We ventured out to some local haunts and then to an abandoned island. As we paddled along - sometimes with the current and sometimes against it - I remember being struck by how progress camouflaged itself: every new turn looked a lot like the last one. It was easy to feel 'lost in the weeds.' The horizon helped us reclaim our sense of perspective, subsequently informing each tired paddle stroke with purpose and direction. It's a lesson I've tried to carry with me in the days following our watery adventure.


Sunset from the rooftop of Waite 'n' Sea.





The 2 Jonathans on the not-so-high seas.


Deserted island, with a sign not legible to me


Weaving through the marsh grass.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment