Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vacation 3

Last of the pics from before we flew to NC. It's just the two of us, which might be vain or superfluous (what with the three pics), but whatever.

A friend asked me the other day if I remembered anything about my wedding day (5 years ago, this coming December). He didn't say it, but I wondered if he wasn't expecting some version of the usual "it was a blur" or "all that stress beforehand and I don't remember a thing." The truth is just the opposite.

I remember sitting next to Beks in a moment that still feels suspended in time, holding hands and singing 'Let all mortal flesh keep silence.' We both knew it by heart and so were freed from the book as we watched the congregation come up for Communion. Family, friends, family not yet friends (I hadn't met them yet). I remember being completely overwhelmed by the altar guild and others from the church who accepted the open invitation. Paula Gilbert gave of her New Year's Eve night to work the sound board that night. Hannah Kimbrough carried the cross. I remember the love of so many friends and the unbelievable good news that Rebekah and I were beginning an adventure that we knew and prayed would draw us closer to God and one another in the Body of Christ, with God as our goal and our path, life of the Spirit. All joy. I squeezed her hand tighter.

I get sappier than she does. So I have to trust her that she hears me when I tell her how unspeakably blessed and humbled, awestruck and grateful I am for the love we share with each other and the God whose love comes as gift. "May His love be ours forever, as forever He is One."

I love you, Bek. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment