Friday, January 28, 2011

two sweet moments of different kinds

Moment 1:
Last Sunday, at the start of the Eucharist Prayer, I saw two familiar figures out of the right corner of my eye: Bek and Annie. Not a surprise to see them, but a surprise to see them like this: Bek, coming back from retrieving Annie from the nursery; Annie, walking hand in hand with Mom. Bek told me later that Annie emphatically signed to her as they approached the church doors that she wanted to walk into church that day. And as I'm saying the prayers and noticing these two beautiful ladies in the back of the church, Annie notices me and my voice, starts pointing and hollering, "Daddy, Daddy!" I smiled a smile that came like a gift, and continued the Great Thanksgiving.

Moment 2:
Today. Annie and I have spent most of the day together: rolling around, chasing each other, reading books, laughing hysterically. But at the outset, as Bek prepared to leave for a continuing education class, we set about the solemn business of saying 'goodbye'. Annie has lately learned to blow kisses as she waves her byes. So Bek says, 'bye' and makes for the door. Annie takes in the situation for a moment, signals for Mom, asking a goodbye hug. As Bek picks her up, Annie turns to me, blows her kisses, calls out, 'bye!', decided to stow away with Mom. *sigh* :)

O beautiful adventure, to be Annie's Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment